Bringing Relief in your Grief
Article appeared in June 2016 Vox Populi
By Elaine Ghidelli
The Bereavement Ministry recognizes that at one time or another we all suffer a loss of a loved one, loss of good health, or loss of a relationship. Loss can leave us feeling alone, isolated, cut off from the love of others even the love of God. Our ministry believes that the healing power of God can affect the recovery of connection, balance, and peace that comes through acceptance. With God’s grace and our service to others, we hope that those touched by our ministry may not feel alone as they move forward through the grieving process.
Offer compassionate, sympathetic support to those who are grieving.
The Bereavement Ministry aims to develop volunteers who are passionate about bringing the merciful face of Jesus to those who are going through the grieving process. Our intention is to create an atmosphere of prayer, love and trust giving hope for healing of body, mind and spirit.
- Send sympathy card from parish community to all families suffering the loss of a loved one.
- Offer a Bereavement Support Program twice a year. Trained leaders will guide participants through the grieving process.
- Provide a Bereavement Mass and celebration of life twice a year for all who suffered loss of a loved one during the previous six months. Personal invitations will be sent to all families.
- Acquire space in the weekly church bulletin to publish names of recently deceased (same names as in the prayer of the faithful).
The ministry will grow as new members join in participation. Future long range plans are to include:
- Assistance with funeral arrangements (prayers, mass, songs, etc.)
- Facilitate visitation, rosary, and other wake proceedings.
- A Stephen’s Ministry with trained counselors to deliver God’s word and mercy for other forms of loss.
Perhaps you have a gift, training or are called to share in helping people as they heal from grief and loss. Please consider being a part of this important and needed comfort and service to our families, neighbors and friends. Please join us as we come together in this ministry. What greater way to serve in this Jubilee Year of Mercy! For more information, call Elaine Ghidelli at 559-553-2274 or email Sunnye55@aol.com.
Look for future dates in the bulletin for the start of the Grief Support Group and the Parish Celebration of Life Mass as we serve the Good Shepherd Catholic Church of Visalia.